ZPEC directional drilling department is very experienced and professional team that provides clients with comprehensive, high-precision, tailored well trajectory control, technology services, excellent wellbore which is very helpful for casing-running and cementing. Accurate rotary geosteering technology leads to efficient, cost-effective drilling optimizations to deliver optimal reservoir development solutions to our clients.
There are 56 employees, including 10 senior engineers, 31 oilfield service engineers and 11 repair and maintenance technicians. 70 percent of the employees are from international recognizable oilfield service companies. 1738 various type wells have been delivered successfully domestic and overseas since 2006.
ZPEC directional drilling department has technical research and engineering services capabilities for directional/horizontal wells, cluster wells, multilateral wells, casing sidetrack, ERD(extended reach displacement) wells, deep and ultra-deep directional / horizontal wells and slim hole directional / horizontal wells, which has formed technical features to handle the operation of highly difficult directional drilling, thin formation horizontal wells with complex faults, ultra-deep horizontal wells, geosteering, slim hole sidetracking wells, etc.
Provided directional service in Middle East, Russia and China. Especially, East Baghdad Oilfield, Rumaila Oilfield, Garraf Oilfield, Block10 and Luk Yamama Oilfield in Iraq, as well as PetroChina, Sinopec and Yanchang Oilfield in China. ZPEC formed a more complete set of RSS /motor drill tools + MLWD (resistivity and gamma ray) high-end operation team that meets the demand of oilfield exploration and development. Achieved wide range of directional drilling services.
（1） Professional and co-operative drilling engineer, directional driller, MLWD engineer, RSS engineer, repair and maintenance engineer, chief expert and technical support team provide with high quality service.
（2） Based on international oil service companies experience and the regional stratigraphic characteristics, ZPEC formed the regional operation procedures of directional drilling service in Iraq and Russia. As well as the standard operation procedures and slim hole rotary steering drilling in China.
（3） With the ability to drilling extremely difficult wells, completed a lot of cluster wells, ERD wells, horizontal wells, high temperature and high deviation wells, slim hole horizontal wells geosteering and relief wells.
（4） It can prevent and deal with complex downhole problem in advance and in time, and has the ability to effectively control well trajectory under complicated situations such as loss, kick and wellbore instability in terrestrial and Marine strata domestic and overseas.
Technical Service Capability
We rely on an experienced service team, advanced equipment and tools, to implement accurate trajectory control, and provide optimal directional / horizontal well services in a variety of environments and conditions. Directional drilling team provide services as bellows,（1） Trajectory design, cluster well anti-collision / scanning analysis / safety operation / process monitoring.（2） Directional drilling optimization, T & D , hydraulic analysis.（3） MWD and LWD service.（4） Near bit service.（5） Rotary steerable system service.（6） Geosteering service.（7） Relief well service.
Professional supporting equipment
Equip with special directional / horizontal technology service complete form a complete set of tools, equipment directional well service contractor, subcontract, equipment, equipment leasing service, 4-3/4 "rotary steering system, including domestic and imported MWD, LWD (gamma + resistivity), electronic single and multipoint, gyroscope, various types of downhole drilling tools (mud motor, high torque, high power motor such as even thickness mud motor ), agitator, drilling jar, all kinds of float sub and filter sub, etc.
（1） 4-3/4”4 ¾ "rotary steerable drilling system
Rotary steerable drilling system (RSS) is a drilling technology that can continuously and realtime control trajectory, such as building, dropping, holding, inclination and azimuth adjustment. Rotary steerable drilling system is mainly composed of surface monitoring system, both-way communication system, measurement while drilling system and downhole steering. Downhole steering tool is the executing mechanism of trajectory control, and the essential of rotary steerable system is the closed-loop automatic control system integrating mechanical, electrical and hydraulic system.
Advantages of rotary steerable system
• Regular and smooth wellbore.
• Improved ROP.
• Less trips.
• Enhanced hole cleaning.
• Accuracy and flexibility of wellbore trajectory control.
• Highly extends displacement.
The 4-3/4 "AutoTrak ® is a continuous vector-controlled rotary steerable system in which the sleeve is not rotated along with the drilling sting. The hydraulic pump is switched on and off by an electrical signal, and three fully independent ribs are pushed out / pull back by hydraulic pressure to control the trajectory.
4-3/4 "AutoTrak ® has the following advantages
• Accurate trajectory with 500 vector options to adjust the curvature of the target deviation or simultaneous turn.
• In Steady Bevel mode, keep the original inclination within ±0.1 ° until the new command arrives.
• Self-diagnostic, with its own independent hydraulic system, without the impact of mud applied to the wellbore.
• Strong guiding force, each rib comes with two hydraulic devices, guiding ability is stronger.
• High interference resistance, steering ability is not affected by changes in flow rate, mud properties, and bit water hole clogging or drop.
The 4-3/4 "OnTrak™ combines MWD and LWD systems, and a single connector provides real-time directional survey, azimuthal gamma ray, multi-frequency electromagnetic resistivity, annular pressure ECD, and drilling dynamic measurement. Maximum working temperature 150°C, maximum working pressure 137 MPa.
The 4-3/4 "AZITRAK ™ Azimuthal Resistivity Tool is a formation evaluation tool with a single connector that provides real-time directional, azimuthal gamma, multi frequency electromagnetic resistivity, deep lateral azimuthal resistivity, bottom hole pressure and vibration measurements. The tool is designed to identify reservoir boundaries and provide accurate formation evaluation, with a resolution of up to 5.2 m, allowing for real-time distance from formation boundaries and apparent dip, providing the basis for optimal wellbore placement decisions to increase production in both horizontal and lateral wells and meet high requirements. Maximum working temperature 150°C, maximum working pressure 137 MPa.
There are 6 sets 4-3/4 "AutoTrak ® rotary steerable system, mainly used on land oil fields in China.
Geosteering service in WenSu
RSS service in XinJiang
（2） Battery-powered reliable APS M/LWD (MWD+ Gamma)
· APS MWD outputs signals in the form of positive mud pulse, powered by lithium battery, adopts reliable and efficient brushless DC motor and controller, through one-way drilling fluid flow channel, and anti-interference processing, which greatly reduces the probability of signal interference and end plug, and has a strong signal decoding ability.
· APS MWD is the industry's most robust, most advanced and most leak-resistant MWD instrument.
APS MWD Pulser
SIU decoder box, IPC and Display
Directional services in Rumaila
Cluster Well Service in East Baghdad
（3）Hengtai M/LWD (MWD+ Gamma + Resistivity) of downhole Spontaneous Electricity
Hengtai wireless while drilling system (MWD/LWD) is downhole spontaneous electric (turbine), transmission of signal in the form of mud positive pulse, can collect real-time condition of the tools in the hole , directional survey, azimuth gamma, multi-frequency resistivity, annulus pressure ECD, downhole parameters such as vibration measurement, it is a MWD with collection machine, electricity, liquid and software.
ERD cluster well services in the Garraf oilfield
ZPEC Kunlun Petroleum Equipment Manufacturing Co. Ltd
(1)Shackle machine(2)Lubricators(3)Workbench(4)High temperature oven（300°C）
Advanced professional software
(1)Well trajectory design, calculation and mapping software Compas
With the industry's common trajectory design, calculation and mapping software Compass, 2D/3D borehole trajectory design, survey data calculation, borehole design, anti-collision, analysis and platform optimization, to provide customers with international unified standard borehole trajectory data and graphics.
(1)COMPASS(2)Cluster wells 3D view(3)Cluster wells horizontal projection (4)Vertical profile and horizontal projection
2.Dynamic simulation and analysis software of drilling tool assembly WellPlan
WellPlan, a dynamic simulation and analysis software for downhole drilling tools commonly used in the industry, is used to simulate the friction and T&D of the BHA and conduct post-drilling regression analysis, calculate hydraulic parameters, critical speed analysis, optimize drilling parameters, avoid the occurrence of complex downhole accidents such as drilling tools fatigue, and provide technical support for safe drilling.
(1)WellPlan(2)Hydraulics Cuttings Transport Operational(3)Drilling tool force analysis diagram(4)Torque Drag Effective Tension Graph
Typical successful cases
Directional technical service has always pursued the service concept of "customer first", with the spirit of "iron army", overcome difficulties, has provided directional well, horizontal well, extended-reach well and other types of high-quality, on-site technical services for a lot of internationally renowned oil companies, has been highly praised by clients.
(1)ERD Cluster Wells Directional Service for Midland Oil Company in Iraq
Client: Midland Oil Company of Iraq
Drilling time: Nov. 2017 to Oct. 2018
Drilling team: DD Team No.2
Completed wells: 3
· It’s the first time to cooperation with MdOC and IDC for drilling ERD Cluster wells in East Baghdad.
· The rig equipment is very old with high failture rate of mud pump.
· Kick off at shallow formation and lack of offset wells data.
· Communication issues due to different culture.
· 3 ERD wells are drilled by ZPEC DD, total footage is 10,113m, the deepest MD is 3,604m with well displacement @ 2,604m by using mud motor, Gyro, MLWD tools, which well trajectory controlled smoothly and target tolerance less than 1 m at TVD of 2302m.
· No more difference comparison motor BHA with RSS in build & horizontal section, the wellbore trajectory is smooth and the casing operation is once in place.
· MLWD data is all accurate and reliable, and the qualified rate of the data taken is 100%.
· The standard operating procedures for cluster well operations in Iraq have been formed.
· Completed a directional well operation procedure for safe and efficient drilling of anhydrite, pipe stuck prevention, bit balling and porous limestone formations.
· Empathy, respect for habits, all-round communication, close cooperation with multiple departments, safe and efficient operation.
(1)Well Plan(2)DD team and clients
(2)Russian Oilfield Slim hole geosteering horizontal well for ROSNEFT
Drilling time: Dec. 2018 to Nov. 2019
Drilling team: DD Team No.1
Completed wells: 16
On 15th Nov. 2018, the deserted Arctic Circle was broken by ZPEC drilling rig, it’s the first time for Chinese enterprises enter the high latitude, cold and hypoxic zone for developing abundant underground oil and gas reservoirs.
· The working environment is extremely difficult. The Arctic winter polar night (wellhead 66 ° 12 'north latitude). Average temperature is -30 degree centigrade, the lowest temperature reached to -62 degree centigrade.
· Geological information shortage. Operators require use LWD with radioactive sources, while providing real-time imaging technology.
· The operation is complex and difficult. Slim hole, 3D design and the horizontal section is more than 1,500m.
· High environmental requirements. Oil-based mud, which is not allowed to pollute the arctic.
· Tight schedule. Client requires that the drilling conditions to meet within one month after signing the contract.
On Feb 25th. 2019, Ga-K94P was spudded by ZPEC Rig 25. And 35 directional wells were designed in WP-K. Till now, 13 wells were drilled by ZPEC DD, especially, Ga-K100P TD@4350m which is the maximum TD record in Garraf Oilfield
· Hole cleaning issue. Poor hole cleaning suffered when inclination was above 45degree, especially in long open hole.
· Hard sliding. Difficult to slide and hold the inclination in very long open hole due to high drag and hanging off issue.
· Serious Anti-collision Issue. In the deep section, EOU against the C-C distance.
· Lower ROP. T&D and SPP is very high, tools get easy to be damaged due to high shock and vibration, lower ROP.
· Differential stuck. Differential stuck in Mishrif formation.
RSS Service in Pen Zhou
Directional drilling communication